Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tacos topped with pickles? What?! Excellent!










Malo Mexican Cuisine at 4326 West Sunset Blvd. in Los Angeles, CA. Serves tacos with pickles!! Sounded gross, but tasted great!!

I sent an email to a woman by the name of K.K. Dodds who runs a foodie site as well:

http://thecraveabledish.com/site/

Thanks to a tip by my buddy Hans Fleishman. He said since I was comin to L.A. to eat, I should check out K.K.'s site for some suggestions on where to eat. And what a great tip. Her site is awesome! And it led me to several great spots, which I will feature later. And K.K. was a lot of fun to hang with, and look at. She was very attractive, and her husband was super cool too.

I met K.K. for dinner at Malo, a taco spot that puts pickles on their tacos. At first I was like... "Meh, sounds to hipster and gross for me." But when I mentioned Malo to several of my L.A. friends, they all said, get the pickles! So I did, and man were they right. I got an order, which was 2 beef tacos, fried, with cheddar cheese and pickles. Nice, crunchy, juicy, crisp, succulent, pickles. What a perfect compliment to a deep fried, crunchy hard shell, beef taco. And the taco itself, it was "Monte-licious!" I think a lot of the love for this taco was because the taste was an immediate reminder to my moms tacos, and all my friends ma's tacos from when I was a kid. I loved those old school beef tacos on a crunchy shell. White boy tacos. And they do it right at Malo.

I also had the vegetarian version of the beef and pickle taco, and it was damn tasty, I would eat it again with pleasure. I loved Malo, K.K., and the whole evenings experience.

Pickle tacos are a flavor you will crave when it's all said and done. I wish I was there eating a pickle taco right now.

No comments: