Sunday, October 25, 2009

First ever "Masticaing with Monte" a success!!!











First "Masticating with Monte" a success!!!
We did it!!! A group of 15 of us met today, Sunday Roctober 25, 2009 at "Uncle Mike's Place" (1700 W. Grand Ave. in Chicago). We ate together as a motley crew, and it was a BLAST!!! We ate, laughed, cried, and made masticating history. Everything was delicious from the skirt steak n' eggs to one of my new favorites: Filipino Tocino. Which is a sweetened cured pork that tastes like the best ham you've ever eaten! And it was served with a garlic flavored rice and eggs!! A super delicious breakfast treat!!! I can't wait to go back for more.

The day was great, but almost didn't happen.

At 8 a.m. a friend of mine, John, sent me a text saying "Corosh", which was the original meeting place, was now closed on Sundays. But I wasn't sure because a few weeks ago they had a sign on the window saying they'd be closed on Sunday October 4th. so I assumed maybe the person who informed my friend had seen that sign too, and just assumed it was lasting. So to be safe I went there early to check it out. It was closed! Of course I panicked, called a friend in the hood, Rob, and he suggested "Uncle Mike's Place". I had completely forgot about this spot and I used to go there all the time for the steak n' eggs. So my wife and I went there, got them to put 4 tables together for us, and it ended up being the perfect spot for the event.

The only thing that could have made it better, was seeing the rest of you who couldn't make it out this time, but I'm sure we'll see you next time.

As a side note, my buddy who informed me of the closing, who was supposed to go, jumped ship immediately. 5 minutes after I received his text I called him back, and at 8:05 a.m., he was already at another restaurant having breakfast. That is not the friend you want around when the ship goes down. When yer looking fer him, he'll be by himself in the only row boat rowing away. But I love him anyway.

No comments: