Thursday, October 8, 2009

Diner/Dinner grill Burger!!!

spot: diner/dinner grill (they have spelled both ways on the sign. genius!)
food type: Diner/inexpensive grill food
neighborhood: lakeview, best stay away during school hours. crowded!!!





Why I love the burger at the Diner Grill 773-248-2030

I love skinny hot dogs, very thin pizza crust and thin greasy bacon hamburgers. The Diner Grill on Irving near Ashland is probably the best place for the the thinnest greasiest bacon burger around. First they have a nice flat grill with what appears to be a tiny coffee pot that sits on the grill filled with lard so it can stay hot and fluid long enough to be placed on the hash browns or grilled onions or whatever they need to lather in grease later to coagulate in your veins. Anyway, they make the perfect burger. I like to order a bacon hamburger no cheese with grilled onions. They only have a counter. I like to sit in front of the grill and watch them prepare my burger, it’s great. they place two pieces of bacon on the grill beneath an old school iron presser to keep the bacon from curling up. Then they put a bunch of onions on the grill lather them in the lard from the coffee pot(that’s where the flavor is) then they place the hamburger bun on top of the onions while they cook(oh man, it steams the bun with greasy onion goodness). Finally after a few moments they place the thinnest most wonderful round ground burger on the grill and they grill up quickly and perfectly. Soon after that comes the bottom of the bun on the grill for a quick toasting and then you know your burgers almost done. They put the bottom of the bun on the plate next to the cold lettuce, tomato and pickle. Then they scoop up the onions with the top of the bun on them and place that on top of the burger then slip it on the bottom bun. After that they lift the iron press where your bacon sits so cute and crispy lookin’ in it’s own grease where they then use a spatula to lift the bacon and apply it immediately to the burger where they don’t even drain the grease off(so good!). After all that they serve it to ya’ hot and ready to eat. I like to put lettuce, pickle and ketchup & mustard on it(it only takes me a few minutes to eat one so sometimes I have to order another one halfway through the first). Then I dig in. From the first bite to last it drips with onion, bacon, ketchup, mustard and grease goodness all around your face and on the plate. This is fun to lick off the corners of your mouth and I like to wipe my burger into the stuff that makes it o the plate, there is alotta good taste in those drippings. All this tasty goodness comes to under five bucks. This is why I love the burger at the diner grill. Well now I’m hungry so I gotta go. To get a burger. Oh shoot I almost forgot they serve you water in the “to go” cups which I love, it means I don’t have to worry about it being dirty.

No comments: